Tuesday, August 28, 2007


"Lake Town? 10 rupaye zyaada dena hoga."

"Theek hai, chalo."

I'd have to pay 10 bucks more for the taxi ride home. It was raining and empty cabs were few and far between. The extra tenner was worth an hour's waiting, or worse, haggling.

We drove off the Park Street Flury's crossing. Traffic wasn't sparse. It was 9:00 pm and the rain swept homecoming office crowd was looking for a dry journey. I looked around, snug in my seat. The howling wind was conducting the rain orchestra.

The taxi reached the Park Circus bridge. A grizzled man with a jovial grin, the driver guided the car through the sea of vehicles and water. The grin was more of a grimace - road rage runs high with cloistered spaces and reduced visibility.

"What idiots! Why are they all in such a tearing hurry!"

I wasn't in a mood to reply. It had been a long day and I'd rather take a nap in the one hour ride home. The driver turned around to look at me. I grunted a non-committal reply.

"Yeah... everyone needs to get home."

"They do, but that doesn't mean you do it at others' expense. Think about the blessings of science that have enabled people to drive instead of walk. This doesn't mean that they zoom through like blood in arteries."

The analogy was interesting. I leaned forward from my splat-on-the-seat position. He continued talking. The conversation that followed was entirely in Hindi.

"I was listening to the news on the radio, babu. It's delhi ka fm. Sometimes it tunes itself here. I listen to it every day and read the papers too." A neatly folded copy of Sanmarg was resting behind the fare meter. "They said that a robot has been bought by doctors in Delhi - for the first time in Asia - that will be able to do biosurgery. A doctor will guide it and it will perform the finest of operations and surgeries without any errors. Just think babu, how we have progressed. A machine to operate on human beings."

"Yeah, it's amazing. Science is making progress."

"And not just progress babu, it's moving forward at a tremendous speed. Where are we going?"

I was piqued. The cabbie wasn't just passing on information he'd heard or read about. He had given it some thought.

"In the satyug, you only had to imagine yourself in one place and you would be there. In the dwapara you had to work by physical labour. And after that it's been a downhill ride. We now travel in mechanical monsters. But we are making progress. It takes two hours on a plane now instead of an instant compared to thousands of years ago."

The car had reached the ITC Shonar Bangla by now. All plans of napping forgotten, I was leaning forward intently. I was desperate to show off my two bits of knowledge in front of this illiterate, uneducated man. My philosophical bantering tends towards non-materialism and non-wealth.

"At the end of your life, it doesn't matter how much you've earned or what name you've made. What really matters is whether you've been able to make somebody happy. Anybody."

"You are right babu. The Gita says -"

"Karmanye Vadhikaraste Ma Phaleshu Kadachana,
Ma Karma Phala Hetur Bhurmatey Sangostva Akarmani"

"- yes babu. Do your duty and not expect outcomes. Don't do the job for results but for the pleasure of getting the job done..."

I stopped. This man clearly knew what he was talking about and was more than your tobacco chewing, khaini spitting, passenger refusing Nana Shaw. Nana Shaw is a stereotype of the typical Calcutta taxi driver - leaves his mark on the city and on the mind of passengers by refusing them.

"Why did you become a taxi driver?", I asked completely oblivious of how I said it.

"I've got a school in my village. I'm from Hazaribagh, Jharkhand. I make enough foodgrains to last my entire family, and my brothers. And also run a school there. This taxi is just for my freedom. The 20 odd thousand Rupees I save every month goes into making the school. I started off my brother with teaching. He took the school forward. I plan to open a library for students. They walk 11 kilometres to buy books. My house in Kasba needs to be fixed. The shingles are falling in on the mud walls. But it's all for the children, babu. You said na that you need to make somebody happy?"

"Yes..... a thousand people..."

His statements weren't as random as my typing. I couldn't digest the information. This man had started a school for the village children. And not just any school, this institute had a thousand students on its roll with 13 qualified teachers registered under the State Higher Secondary Board. A man who drove someone else's cab for a living had a farm, a secondary school and burning ambition to his name. He might have been bluffing. I wouldn't know. His statements were crisp and purposeful. His voice was hard - accustomed to toil and turmoil. His message was soft. If you need to do something with life, contribute to science's robotic surgeries, make a school, make people happy - start with yourself.

The taxi had reached Lake Town.

"Bhaiyya, aap change rakh lo..." Keep the change.

22 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderfully put. You're picking up style. Keep it up.

dreamy said...

Keeping oneself happy.That, I think is the starting point of any purpose.

"This taxi is just for my freedom".


wonderful post.

Anonymous said...

Nothing better than an experience of this nature to snap you out of routine. And tell you what, bro, you're getting better with every post. You're not just loyal to your thoughts, but know how to showcase them well. Keep it up :-)

Anonymous said...

That was some post...got me thinking about important stuff..keep it up Arka..always a pleasure to read your work !

Unknown said...

One does think of such things...and then tends to forget them somewhere down the road...always...

I guess this is because we Indians are thinkers rather than doers.We are only Ideators and mentally proative.

It needs ppl like that 'Nana Shaw' to show us what real machinists we really are.

btw what have u done today to make anybody happy?

Sreethi said...

:)

Novoneel Chakraborty said...

The experience must have been damn engrossing, isn't? I could visualize ur "boisterously" inquisitive face peeping through the words you put up...and now i am confused...whom should I say keep it up - u or the taxi driver?
Both!
One more thing, this piece reminded me of a short story of mine titled THE FLORIST...c ya...

Anonymous said...

sorry my alter ego "Oye Henry" has taken over...whatever I am going to type next don't attach any file of importance to it.

What happens after our hero handed the fare to the taxi driver?

The taxi driver goes straight to a 'bhatti' and buys himself the best brand(brand?) of desi alcohol with the change and the rest he keeps it 4 his mistress all the while thanking God for the increased number of "literate youths" in and around Bengal ... and thus it turns out that his claims are utter non-sense just like the traffic near nagerbazar...

My apologies 2 the writer of this blog and 2 all who find this comment offending...but hey if people can fantasize about Mallika Sherawat's...then the above said can also be the actual scenario...sorry again!

Srimoi said...

I thought a similar incident happened to u wid nother fellow...post that one.

Madhuri said...

Reading your post made me happy.. :)

Unknown said...

Very vivid. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this!

Kay said...

Leave your mark..anyway you can..

And you're wonderful Arka..keep it up..I think the best stories are the ones which do not have any frills..like the one you've written..It's direct and yet touches your heart..

Shadow Dragon said...

Dream a life, dream it fulfilled,
Seconds coming, always mysterious,
You shall be there, you might not,
Fulfill your dreams, before the dusk falls,
For the life shall then,
Be gloomy, hopes to be found no more!!!!


All is this that I could make out of your story!! There is more... but feel lyk it might seem irrelevant!!!

But anyways... A good 1 dude!!!

Unknown said...

cool style.keep it up.the depiction was really too good.

Jo said...

brilliant,
the post or the driver??
well,both :)

Anonymous said...

i guess u've done a brilliant job in telling the person's story. hmm, looks like humility is the key word to success ................

Unknown said...

I just want to be loved.

Angry Voices said...

@ Nygma & Dreamy & 2s: Thanks

@ Neha & Sarang: Always to make someone happy. Even if it is myself.

@ nbc & oye henry: The sting in the tail might have been there. Just that it was drowned in some happiness.

@ Sreethi & Srimoi & Madhuri : Thanky for smiley


@ iask & shadow dragon: the poetic feeling was numb in the face of the experience. There's so much out there.

@ Jo & Faith & Aniruddh: Robbie Williams said it well - I just wanna feel real love.

Karthik Balasubramanian said...

how I get all the wierdos and wandmakers and u get all the conversations with ppl with drive and half a brain, I will never know..

one brute of an article.. keep them coming bro..

dreamy said...

please update!

Unknown said...

Loved it A!
NOW you're talking!

Jadedism said...

Beautiful ...